Monday, August 9, 2010

PCSOL Tip of the Week

KEEP YOUR PERSONAL'S PERSONAL!

Today I raced upstairs to answer the home phone (which hardly EVER rings) and after answering the phone a polite woman with an American Accent asked if my computer has been fixed or is it still broken... ?

After hearing from about 10 customers during the last week receiving the same type of call - I instantly knew it was a bogus call!

So I played along complaining about my "horrible computer" and all the "problems" I was having. The woman on the phone was sympathetic and offered an easy fix over the phone if I just went to a website and downloaded something (she would talk me through it) OR if I gave her my details she would send me the information. To verify this - she asked for my Date of Birth and last 4 digits of my credit card number.

I said, "Sure - as long as you give me some of your details before handing out mine!" - and for some mysterious reason - she hung up!!!!!

This is one of the most important tips I can give you...

If someone rings saying they are from Microsoft or any company and asking about a faulty computer that you have

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY DETAILS OVER THE PHONE!!

It is a Fraud!

What do they do?

They call you saying that they are from Microsoft, Apple, HP or numerous other International Companies and ask if you are having problems with your computer. They then go on and suggest that you may have a problem and that they need to verify who you are. They may ask for your Date of Birth, Security Code off your credit card or full name. DO NOT GIVE THEM THESE DETAILS - They are doing this because they already MAY have your credit card numbers and need the extra details to process the order.

How do they do it?

It is quite simple. They have a computer system that just calls phone number after phone number in order. This is a WORLDWIDE scam.

What should you do?

The easiest thing to do is Hang Up!!!

If, however, you have given them your details - check your credit card immediately!

If they have asked you to download something on to your computer - or to change the settings - get it checked immediately!



For more information you can check out Microsoft's release about this issue at http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/msname.aspx
Queensland Police have also released a brochure about identity theft at http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/Internet/services/reportsPublications/documents/page27.pdf
This is an Article about the Phone Con from APC Computer Magazine http://apcmag.com/phone-con-no-that-is-not-microsoft-calling.htm



Thank you for your interest,
Steven Veltmeyer
Managing Director
PCSOL PTY LTD
Disclaimer: PCSOL is providing this information as advice only.

1 comment: